Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Dinosaur Themed Sensory Tub

The items from our Back to School themed sensory tub and our Space themed sensory tub have been put away and replaced with our newest themes.  Last week I shared our Peter Rabbit tub, and today I'm going to share with you our Dinosaur themed tub.  This one was another that was a must make.  Dinosaurs are always a favorite in this house (probably a close second to monkeys).  The first animal sound my daughter learned was "Rawr" for dinosaur!


We plan on spending the next few weeks learning about dinosaurs before we dive into Halloween, Fall, and then Thanksgiving themes!  Oh how I love this time of year!  Our Peter Rabbit tub will stick around for a while though.  We are still having fun reading the book and going through the tub to find all the items as they are mentioned in the story.


I'm happy to have more of a mix of natural or recycled objects in this tub.  There are still lots of plastic pieces, but I'd say our tubs are improving.  With each one I create for the kids, I'm trying to incorporate more materials and textures.  The rocks and plants we collected from our own yard, and the plastic toys we already had.  The wooden dinosaur and the paper eggs I picked up at the craft store.


I also had to include a tiny but cute and recognizable dinosaur in this tub.  This is one of the characters from the PBS kid's show Dinosaur Train, and he fits perfectly into a leftover Easter egg to help show how dinosaurs hatch from eggs.


Object included in our Dinosaur tub:

  • Recycled brown paper filler
  • Recycled paper eggs
  • Wooden Wiggly Dinosaur
  • Dried plants
  • Rocks
  • Plastic plants and flowers - for the herbivores
  • Assortment of tiny plastic dinosaurs
  • Bone (to represent the dinosaur skeleton)

Check out my dinosaur board on Pinterest to get an idea of some of the projects we'll be doing as part of our Dinosaur unit.  I'm really looking forward to making dinosaur skeletons out of pasta, and making fossils out of Play-doh.  We'll also be making dinosaur feet out of old tissue boxes, and so much more.

We've already picked up two new dinosaur themed chapter books and a few other books to learn about dinosaurs from the library, and we've also got our Dinosaur Train talking dinosaurs for even more fun!  Bring on the "Rawwwwwwwwrrrr"s!

No comments:

Post a Comment